Welcome to the Bitrepository project.
The purpose of the Bitrepository system is to enable longterm preservation of data in a distributed, highly redundant architecture. The data integrity is ensured by using multiple, independently developed data storage systems (Bitmagasin pillars) across different organizations, together with functionality for maintaining the Integrity service of the data over time. The Bitrepository project consists of:
- Communication and file exchange protocol.
- Messagebus based communication infrastructure.
- Reference clients and services.
- Framework for defining the required qualities of the system services.
- Service hosting for both direct pillar access and higher level services through clients.
An overview of the bit repository - with examples of pillars, clients and services - is given in the below figure. Principles for information between system components and a more general overview of the system followed by can be found under System overview.