A number of advantages can be gained by converting the NetarchiveSuite project a Maven2 based setup. These include (see Benefits of using Maven for an longer list):
- Seperation of current proto-modules into distinct subprojects
- Implicit depencency management
- Reference build replacing the Ant and Maven1 builds, and acting as core for Eclipse and IntelliJ projects.
- Better QA reports replacing the current Maven1 functionality
- Standard Maven 2 jar and war packaging
- Standard Maven2 source, test jar and javadoc distribution
Let's try to create a Maven build which can reproduce the current Ant based build output. Attempts should also be made to improve:
- Create a real modular design, with distinct Maven subproject for each module.
- Map the current files structure to a standard Maven structure
- Create and review a formal dependency model with distinction between explicitly defined direct dependencies, and automatically handled transitive dependencies.
- Merge all current reporting capabilities into the new Maven build