This page describes the scope of this manual, it's intended audience, and some limitations in the standard deploy software included with NetarchiveSuite.
The intended audience of this manual is system administrators who will be responsible for the actual installation of NetarchiveSuite, as well as technical personnel responsible for proper operation of NetarchiveSuite. Knowledge of Unix system administration is required, and some familiarity with XML and Java is an advantage.
Even though the NetarchiveSuite software is developed in Java, and therefore is mostly platform independent, we do have a couple of external calls to the Unix sort command. The parts of our software using this external command therefore only run on Linux/Unix, or Windows with Cygwin installed. The parts in question are:
dk.netarkivet.common.webinterface.GUIApplication, if the sitesection
Specifically the following methods all use an external call to the Unix sort() command:
- Used in
- Used in
- FileUtils#sortCDX() (only used in dk.netarkivet.harvester.indexserver.CrawlLogIndexCache)
The only part of NetarchiveSuite to have been tested under Windows is the BitarchiveApplication. It is therefore highly recommended that all other applications are used only in Linux environments.
Using NetarchiveSuite's Deploy utility, the steps required to configure and start a webarchive are
- Determine the target architecture - ie how many machines you will be using, their locations, their operating systems and which applications should run on each machine.
- Configure the required machines, the required external software (see Appendices) and any relevant firewalls.
- Unpack NetarchiveSuite.zip in a directory on any linux machine from which you have ssh access to all the target machines where NetarchiveSuite will actually run
- Create the config.xml file which describes the architecture and any custom settings. This will also specify your environmentName (e.g. MY_WEBARCHIVE).
- Modify the other configuration files (logging and security properties) if necessary.
- Run the Deploy utility. This will create a sub-directory MY_WEBARCHIVE with all the deploy scripts and configuration files you need.
- Run the install scripts, then the start scripts. You should now have a running netarchivesuite installation.