Welcome to the Bitrepository project.The purpose of the Bitrepository system is to enable longterm preservation of data in a distributed, highly redundant architecture.The data integrity is ensured by using multiple, independently developed data storage systems (Pillars) across different organizations, together with functionality for maintaining the Integrity of the data over time. The Bitrepository project consists of:
- Communication and file exchange protocol.
- Messagebus based communication infrastructure.
- Reference clients and services.
- Framework for defining the required qualities of the system services.
- Service hosting for both direct Pillar access and higher level services through clients (The National Danish Bit Repository).
- Userguide — Installation and usage documentation for the Bit Repository Reference System.
- Releases — Contains the listing of the Bitrepository code including reference implementations.
- Protocol — Describes the general communication between Bit Repository components.
- Architecture — Overview of the systems structural elements and relationships based on a concrete architecture.
- Reference system — Description of the reference system being developed based on the concrete Architecture defined in the project.
- The National Danish Bit Repository — Describes the Bit Repository system operated by the danish national archiving institutions.
- Development — Information relevant for Bit Repository developers, primarily the Java based reference system.
- Project — Information about the projects tasks, plans, ressources, meetings, etc.
An overview of the bit repository - with examples of pillars, clients and services. Principles for information between system components and a more general overview of the system followed by can be found under System overview.